Thursday, July 13, 2006

Negative Infinity

Researchers of cognitive dissonance in the nineteen-fifties found that consumers would continue to read ads for a new car after they’d bought it but would avoid information about other brands, fearing post-purchase misgivings.

Sometimes less choice and less information is a good thing. Or to reitarte "Embrace your constrains".

It is always a painful experience for me to buy a sandwich at Subways. What size? What bread? What type? Chease? Grilled? What vegetables? Pepper? What sauce? And then, when I think I'm almost done: Take away? I want to yell: "I don't know! How the fuck should I know!? I just don't know! Just give me the fucking sandwich of the day! I just want a fucking sandwich!"

I guess I would go insane in a starbucks coffeshop...

The New Yorker: The Critics: Books
(Via 37 Signals)

No comments: