Friday, January 26, 2007

Clint's conspiracy theory

Just watched Flags of our father and noticed two thing:
- The film makes the forties in the USA look a bit like 1984: Buy War Bonds!
- The film mentions a couple of times an almost bankrupt USA and once Arabs wanting gold for their oil.

The last one got me thinking (I know, a bit thing to do) about when these strange ties between the Saudis and the US started. It wasn't Bush Jr. in the eighties or Bush Sr. in the sixties, no, I think by that time the Saudis were already "Big in the USA". The Saudis had a foot in the door at least since World War II. I need to look more into this.

And I think Clint Eastwood might be a fan of conspiracy theories.

Sorry, I have to keep it short, don't have much time...

ps.: The film wasn't bad, it fitted well into my view of the world, but I am bored of the US perspective of things, having seen Private Ryan, Thin Red Line, Band of Brothers, etc. I am looking forward to seeing Letters from Iwo Jima, to see the perspective of the Japanese. After all, some people claim that Japan, cut of from oil by the US, had to attack Pearl Harbour, a sort of preemptive strike that could avoid the war. And that US government wanted war, but not the public. Don't know, but seems plausible.

No comments: